Thursday, November 8, 2007

The Importance of Motherhood

The Most Important Person
on earth is a mother. She
cannot claim the honor of
having built Notre Dame
Cathedral. She need not. She
has built something more
magnificent than any
cathedral-a dwelling for an
immortal soul, the tiny
perfection of her baby's
body…The angels have not
been blessed with such a
grace. They cannot share in
God's creative miracle to bring
new saints to Heaven. Only a
human mother can. Mothers
are closer to God the Creator
than any other creature; God
joins forces with mothers in
performing this act of
creation…What on God's
good earth is more glorious
than this: to be a mother?

-Joseph Cardinal Mindszenty


I don't know about you guys but I needed this today. I have always held close his thoughts on motherhood but today really needed to wrap my head and heart around it. All that we do as mothers, the Lord sees the beauty of this work. And our children reap the fruit of our efforts on a daily and lifetime basis. It's just sometimes hard to remember this at 7:15 am in the morning as I'm struggling to get them both (my kids) out the door. The little one chases the big one and I'm chasing them both.
Oh, what a site we are in the mornings..Once they have both gotten off (one to school and the other to daycare) there is finally the sound of peace in the car. But then the sadness sets in, I begin to miss them and think of how long until I get to chase them again and steal baby kisses, hug my little boy (who is almost as tall as me now!), and just absorb their laughter and smiles. I know I am crazy to not just enjoy the silence.:)

No comments: